This is a half a semester (20 Lecture) course on Special Theory of Relativity, which revolutionized our concept of physics in the last century by unifying concept of space and time, electricity and magnetism and mass and energy. In this course we will explore and explain many of the (often) counter-intuitive but fundamental principles of the Special Theory. Faculty Prof. Shiva Prasad IIT Bombay Courtesy: NPTEL HRD
Topics and contents
- Inertial Frames, Universality of Newton's second law in all inertial frames, Classical Relativity, Does universal rest (ether) exists?
- Michelson Morley Experiment.
- Postulates of Special Theory of Relativity, Concept of transformation, Galilean Transformation, Simultaneity of two events in different inertial frames of reference and its frame dependence.
- Lorentz Transformation.
- Length Contraction and Time dilation with examples.
- Velocity Transformation, Relative velocity with examples, Time like and Space Like intervals, Causality.
- Need to redefine Momentum, Vector and Four-Vectors.
- Proper time interval, Velocity and Momentum-Energy Four Vector.
- Mass-Energy Relationship, Relationship between new energy and momentum.
- Relativistic Dynamics.
- Mass-Energy Relationships, zero mass particles.
- Geometry of Space-time, space-like and time-like interval, Light cone.
- Four Dimensional form of Maxwell's equations.
- Four dimensional Vector Potential.
- Stress- Energy Momentum Tensor and Conservation Laws.
- Lagrangian formulation of Electrodynamics.
- Relativistic treatment of Radiation.
Ask a Question
e-book enables you to access interactive reading material to strengthen the skills learned in the sessions.
Online Lab enables you to practice the application of concepts you have learnt in the sessions in the virtual environment.
Tutorials enables you to get easy learning with clear, crisp, and to-the-point content on a wide range of technical and non-technical subjects without any preconditions and impediments.